TV Everywhere Viewing Soars 246 Percent11 Jun, 2014 By: Doug McPherson
SAN JOSE, Calif. – TV Everywhere, content provided by TV networks through digital sites and non-authenticated online video, saw a 246-percent year-over-year rise from 2013 to 2014, says Adobe in its first-quarter 2014 U.S. Digital Video Benchmark Report.
The report identifies trends in mobile viewing, device usage across smartphones, tablets and gaming consoles and more and is based on consumer video viewing in 2013 to 2014.
Among the findings:
- Online TV usage across all devices almost tripled in year-to-year comparisons
- Twenty-one percent of pay-TV households in the U.S. accessed TV Everywhere content across devices in first-quarter 2014, compared to just 16 percent six months ago
- Ninety-five TV channels now power more than 160 TV Everywhere sites and apps in the U.S. – 30 more channels than six months ago
- The number of unique TV Everywhere visitors to websites and apps per month rose 157 percent year-over-year, while the number watched per visitor each month rose 133 percent year-over-year
- Smartphones are rapidly gaining popularity, with 73 percent year-over-year growth
- Tablets saw 42 percent year-over-year growth
Adobe’s analysis is based on aggregated and anonymous data from more than 1,300 media and entertainment sites between first-quarter 2013 and first-quarter 2014. This includes 151 billion total online video starts and 1.3 billion TV Everywhere authentications across 250 pay-TV service providers covering 99 percent of pay-TV households in the U.S.